Saturday, August 25, 2007

Some TV thoughts, apropos of nothing


So, the tenth season of The Simpsons came out recently, and of course I bought it immediately (even though my back account was perilously low after the Wii purchase). As most of you should know, by the tenth season the show had begun the decline that continues to this day (although the movie was a welcome oasis of non-disappointment). Watching the episodes again, there were a few more laughs and good moments than I remembered, but my opinion really hasn't changed. Plus, the commentaries were some of the worst yet. I don't know if this is because of A) The realitive low quality of the episodes, B) The fact that I've never been a huge fan of Mike Scully or Ian Maxtone-Graham (Yes, I know that having opinions about individual Simpsons writers is incredibly nerdy. I don't care. Actually, Scully wrote some good episodes, but was a relatively terrible show runner) or C) The huge amount of work that the entire staff was putting into the movie at the same time as they were producing the DVDs. Al Jean, who is one of my favorite commentary personalities, only stays for about 10 minutes on one commentary track, and Matt Groening is absent for a number of episode commentaries.

Anyway, in order to cleanse my palate, I've been watching the third and fourth seasons on DVD, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the Simpsons might be the best television show of all time. Usually I have it ranked second or third with some combination of The Sopranos and Seinfeld. If you throw in South Park and Six Feet Under, you have a pretty impressive top 5 of shows all starting with the letter S. Just something that always struck me as odd.

Sorry I have nothing more interesting at the moment.

No comments: