Monday, November 5, 2007

Last Exit To Hollywood


So, I'm a little torn about this writers' strike. On the one hand, I always support writers getting paid fairly, and even though I assume that the writers' union is as completely controlled by the mafia as every other union in this country, I support them. On the other hand, if 24 gets postponed then I might have to offer my services as a scab. Look forward to way more episodes where Jack Bauer waterboards Amnesty International representatives who are helping the terrorists. I also have an idea to keep Law & Order going my simply re-filming scripts from the Michael Moriarty as Assistant DA era with Sam Waterson. It's been, like, fifteen years and I doubt many people would notice.

One thing about the strike I found interesting is that it doesn't include the people who write for pro wrestling. Despite the fact that it's programming featuring fictional characters, acting out fictional storylines and often memorizing scripts to recite on television, it apparently counts as "sports". Go figure. According to the LA Times, House has enough scripts already finished to keep going for a while, which is good. Unfortunately, I also read that a lot of shows began using non-regular writers in an attempt to stockpile scripts, which is probably bad. Colbert is hit doubly hard- first the South Carolina Democrats won't let him on the ballot, and then he doesn't even get to go on the air tonight to make fun of it. In the meantime, I hope all of you enjoy reality shows and game shows. And reality show/game show crossovers. I, for one, can't wait for the harlots on Flavor of Love show up on the Jeff Foxworthy fifth grader show.

T0morrow night Keith and I are going to see a jam band called Galactic. My semi-hippie friend Tanner tried to explain them to me, but I kind of lost interest halfway through his description and began thinking about how awesome Super Smash Bros. Melee is going to be (it has a level editor! And I can finally have a fight between Sonic, Solid Snake and Link!). Anyway, we're going because Boots Riley from The Coup and Mr. Lif are going to be there. I've soon Boots before, and he just might be the most underrated MC working today, and Mr. Lif's album I Phantom was one of the albums that really got me obsessed with underground hip hop. I'll probably post something about the show in the next couple of days, but I don't feel like I know enough about the main act to write anything like a proper review (as proper as my reviews are anyway). I was a little worried about the show, but my back is pretty much 100%, and my leg, which began hurting a few days after I did whatever the hell I did to my back, is feeling pretty alright at this point.

No comments: