Tuesday, August 19, 2008

This Month's eMusic Downloads (August)

-Steve Earle- "Way Down In The Hole".  The theme for the fifth season of The Wire, which I've been watching.  McNulty has lost his damned mind.  
-Steve Earle- Live from Austin City Limits.  In addition to doing the theme for the show, Earle has a recurring part as Bubbles' AA sponsor.  Somehow, this meant that I'm a fan of his music.
-The Hold Steady- Stay Positive.  I keep hearing about how this is the kind of underground/alt rock album that I should be listening to.  So I will.   
- The Cool Kids- The Bake Sale.  They were good live at Rock The Bells, before I had to leave to see De La Soul, so I'm guessing I'll like this.  Keith liked it.
- Joan Baez- "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue".  Remember that scene in Don't Look Back where Dylan schools Donovan on how to play this song?  That was so awesome.  From a 2004 live show.
- George Carlin- What Am I Doing In New Jersey?.  I'm all about George Carlin albums that are divided into five or less tracks.  
- Johnny Cash- "Time of the Preacher"
- Whiskeytown- "Faithless Street".  These songs are both from the same compilation, called No Depression.  
- Neutral Milk Hotel- Everything Is EP.  I sometimes think about starting a religion based around Jeff Mangum's teachings.  Then I remember I already did this with Chipper Jones, and to do it twice would be silly.
- Bob Mould- Body of Song.  Bob Mould is a great man.  I'll tell you why.  Besides being part of Husker Du, and Sugar, Mould lived out one of his non-musical dreams by getting a job writing for professional wrestling in the late 90s when he took a break from the music industry.  That in and of itself is awesome.  Unfortunately, the man who gave us the Zen Arcade album was punished by getting a job with WCW while they were in the middle of the most spectacular self-destruction that fake sports have ever seen.  He was fully aware of how terribly wrong his dream went, and managed to get out alive.  I've heard a few interviews with him about his time in hell, and he managed to maintain his sanity, and return to the world of music, which is somehow less destructive than pro wrestling.  This man is a hero.  I can't quite explain why, other than what I just said.  
- Roger McGuinn- "Sugar Baby".  The song "Sugar Baby", which I associate with the great Dock Boggs, is awesome.  It's like secret wisdom or something.  
- Richive Havens- "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue".  I loved how Dylan emphasized the bit about "Yonder stands your orphan with his gun/Crying like a fire in the sun" when he was schooling Donovan (who was being referred to as the "Scottish Dylan", which was terribly unfair to Donovan) on how to play this song.  
- Big Country- "In A Big Country" Live.  Shut up.  I like the song, but not enough to pay a dollar for the studio version.  
- The Sound- Thunder Up.  I'm trying to remember how this wound up on my "Save For Later List".  I think they were compared with Echo & The Bunnymen, and I somehow decided that I needed this.
-Little Brother- ...And Justus For All.  A commercial version of a mixtape that was released on the internet last year (I believe it was last year).   

Also, a few weeks ago, my mother and stepfather went on a road trip, and wanted the new David Sedaris audiobook to listen to on the way.  So, I decided that the cheapest way to get this product legally would be to sign up for an eMusic account, and try the free trial for their audiobook service.  This meant that, for the price of one month's subscription to the site, they would get the David Sedaris book, and at half the cost of iTunes.  And as a happy byproduct, I would get a bunch of MP3s from eMusic.  The albums I got are as follows:

-Petra Haden- The Who Sell Out.  A complete cover of one of my third or fourth favorite Who album.  This is brilliant and strange and wonderful.  
- The Pixies- Bossanova.
- The Pixies- Trompe le Monde.
- The Pixies- The Pixies. Also called "The Purple Tape", the band's 1987 demo.
- Spoon- Kill The Moonlight.
- Robyn Hitchcock- Robyn Sings.  An album of Dylan covers.  
So, good times.  And essentially honest, I think, since eMusic did get paid for 30 downloads in addition to the fifty free trial demos, and the free audiobook download.  Essentially honest, yeah.  




No comments: