Thursday, May 1, 2008

Odds and Ends

-I just got the new issue of EGM (yes, I'm a nerd) and on the back cover is one of those "got Milk" ads with Avery Johnson and Josh Howard. Between the time that the issue went to press and when it arrived at my door Avery Johnson was fired when the Dallas Mavericks lost in the first round of the playoffs again and Josh Howard gave an interview where he talked about how much pot he smokes during the offseason. So, I'm guessing the ad is something of a collector's item now.

-Roger Clemens apperntly slept with either a fifteen year old country singer or Pearl Jam's lead guitarist. I don't know which thought is more troubling, especially since Pearl Jam hung out with a different pitcher who won a Cy Young in the 1990s (Black Jack McDowell, who got into a fight in a New Orleans bar in 1993 while hanging out with Eddie Vedder.) I'm ambivalent about watching Clemens self-destruct. It's apparent that the guy is a genius when it comes to pitching, and something of an idiot when it comes to everything else, so I kind of feel sorry for him, but he also seemed to do everything he could to bring this on himself, and he's always come across as something of a jerk.

-Tonight is the one night of the week when I watch a lot of television, because the bastards who program these things put "The Office", "Thirty Rock" and "Lost" on the air on the same night. Bastards.

-On Saturday night I went to some bar in downtown Raleigh with an old friend of mine. I got pleasantly buzzed, mostly because it seemed rude to tell the waitress that I didn't want another Sierra Nevada. Then I went home and drove around in GTA: Vice City until I heard Toto's "Africa" and Corey Hart's "Sunglasses At Night" on the game's radio stations. I also learned that driving under the influence in a video game is not easy. It was fun until I accidentally held up a pharmacy and the cops came and killed me. All in all, it was a good night.

-Have you seen these Denny's ads with Paulie Walnuts in them? If you haven't, I kind of envy you. There's something about them that distubrs me way more than the HD DVD ads that had Christopher Moltisante in them. I'm not sure if I spelled Christopher's last name right, but I don't care enough to check. I also don't care enough to look up his real name, especially since the only other role of his I can think of is the kid who got shot in Goodfellas.

-I thought I was going to vote for Obama in the primary next week. But then he went to Chapel Hill and played basketball with the UNC team. So now I don't know what to do. I found this indiscretion way more troubling than any of the stuff with Jermiah Wright, who is just an idiot with a soapbox to stand on.

1 comment:

Josh said...

is this Rob Cauthen, graduate of Fuquay High? it's Josh Love man, what's up? I just stumbled on your blog, interesting stuff, seems like we've got several shared interests...aside from the NCSU/UNC thing of course.