Thursday, July 17, 2008

Elderly Wasteland

I'm in the midst of a big documentary kick through the Netflix.  I can't quite identify the moment it began, but I realized the way that things would be after watching Errol Morris' documentary The Thin Blue Line the other night.  How I got a minor in film studies without being forced to watch this amazing film is beyond be.  Right now, I've watching Errol Morris First Person series of interviews.   Well, that and parts of the Who tribute show on VH1 Classic.  Pearl Jam is doing their version of "Love Reign O'Er Me", which is fantastic, but I was kind of hoping that they would do a Who song I had never heard them do before.  Their drummer (he used to be in Soundgarden, and for the life of me I can't remember his name at the moment- I almost called him Jack Irons) is no Keith Moon.  Then again, who is?  Now Pearl Jam is doing "The Real Me", which is also off of the Quadrophenia album.  I'd be willing to be that Eddie Vedder knows every word to Quad.  God, if they played "Punk and the Godfather" I'd be so happy.  Either Mike or Stone Gossard threw his guitar into the air and let it hit the stage to end the set, I couldn't tell which from the shot.  Neat little touch.  Now, half of the Who are playing "Baba O'Riley".  I missed the Flaming Lips playing, which I had meant to watch.  

  Until the last season of The Wire comes out on DVD in August, I have a feeling that documentaries are going to be most of my Netflix rentals.  

I'm still looking for the next book I'll fall in love with.  Last week I was so wrapped up in my sister's wedding that I fell out of whatever reading pattern I was in, and now I'm having a problem getting back into the groove.  I should probably go ahead and read the book about Big Star that's been sitting on my shelf of music books for about 15 months now.  That seems like a good way to slip back into practice, now that I think about it.

The Rock the Bells show is sneaking up on me, and I haven't done as much background listening as I had hoped to.  I'll probably pick up Nas' new album tomorrow, since his set will probably be pretty heavy with new stuff.  Nas has always been more talented than likable.  

No comments: