Sunday, July 20, 2008

This Month's eMusic Downloads (July)

George Carlin- Jammin' In New York
George Carlin- Carlin On Campus
Liz Phair- The three new bonus tracks for Exile In Guyville
The Decembrists- The Tain EP
The Pharcyde (who I'll see next week at Rock the Bells)- Labcabincalifornia
The Pixies- Come On Pilgrim (I'm closing in on a complete Pixies collection)
Super Furry Animals- Phantom Power
MF Doom/MF Grimm- Special Herbs +Special  Spices Volume 1
Kidz In The Hall (also at Rock the Bells)- The In Crowd
Blueprint w/ Aesop Rock- "Encounter
The Instruments (An Elephant 6 spin-off)- Dark Smaland

I saw the new Batman movie.  It was fine, although two and a half hours was way too long.  Heath Ledger was pretty damn good as Joker, and I think Gary Oldman is absolutely perfect as Jim Gordon.  But the funniest thing was the trailer for Watchmen.  Now, the idea of a Watchmen movie is as fundamentally flawed as trying to do a Citizen Kane novel, and I won't go to see it, but that wasn't what was funny.  What was funny was that the song playing during the trailer was The Smashing Pumpkins song "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning", which was from the soundtrack for the George Clooney Batman movie.  The notion that Warner Bros. is reusing songs for their comic book movies appeals to me on some twisted level.  I'm hoping that the next Superman movie features the U2 song from the Val Kilmer Batman movie. It was the third movie I've seen this summer based on a comic book, and that's probably enough for a while.  But I am curious what Christopher Nolan will do in a third Batman movie.  I'm hoping we get to see his take on The Riddler.  No idea why, but I think that would be interesting.  The only problem is then we'd probably have a third Batman movie with Two-Face and Riddler as the villains, and that represented the beginning of the end for the franchise the last time around. 
 

No comments: