Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Talking Wedding Music Blues


Yesterday was the big conversation with my sister and her fiancee about what music will be played at the wedding reception.  It went slightly better than I expected, except for the moment when I was on the other side of the room, and unable to get to my computer before she downloaded George Michael's "Faith" from iTunes to play at the reception.  (That kind of sounds like a joke, but it really isn't.  She literally did this, even though I thought that we had reached a compromise when I agreed to play both a Bon Jovi song AND a Journey song in exchange for salvaging some shreds of my own self-worth).  Also, it's a very good thing that I never took the iTunes recommendations very seriously- after the last few weeks, the suggestions it kicks out are going to be amazingly schizophrenic.  Something along the lines of "I see you've bought Iggy Pop, Chris Bell [he was the key member of Big Star who wasn't named Alex Chilton, if you haven't been keeping score], and American Idol's David Cook.  We recommend The Stranglers, Brian Eno and Clay Aiken"

My sister's fiance's suggestions were more interesting.  If I do get married one day, I can imagine requesting several non-conventional wedding reception songs. But not, for example, "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine, or Eminem's "Square Dance", or quite so many Beastie Boys songs.  After giving the matter some thought, I've actually become curious about how people would react to the Rage song, but alas, my sister vetoed that one out of hand, despite not ever having heard the song, except possibly while watching him play Guitar Hero. (The only time I can ever think of my sister referring to Rage was when I was in high school and she was in middle school, and she called them "The Raging, Dancing Machine".  Which in retrospect is kind of awesome).

So, yeah.  Next Saturday is going to be... something.  

The picture is of Sly Stone, for no real reason besides the fact that I like Sly & The Family Stone.  I will probably sneak "Dance to the Music' into the mix during the reception.

 

No comments: