Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Hip Hop is alive, but wishes for death


I had it coming, and all of the psychic damage is my own damn fault. I should have known better.

So, I can't sleep. I'm awake and I'm tired of staring at a dark ceiling so I get the computer out again and look at the baseball scores on Yahoo again, and then I click on a slightly interesting article suggesting that female MCs might be experiencing a comeback that fails to mention any of the female MCs that I actually listen to, and then I do the stupidest thing I could have, and I click on the link to some collaboration between yahoo and sixty minutes about hip-hop. And there it is. The poll.

Who's the best rapper alive?

The candidates presented are Jay-Z, Eminem, 50 Cent, Andre 3000 and Lil Wayne.

I have no idea who LIl Wayne could possibly be.

I cast a vote for Andre, mainly to see the results, which are:
Jay-Z- 53 %
Eminem- 16%
Lil Wayne- 13%
Andre 3000- 11%
50 Cent- 6%

I know it doesn't add up to 100 percent, but those are the numbers given.

Never mind the fact that KRS-One, Kool Moe Dee, Chuck D, Rakim, and a dozen other legends were ignored by whoever thought up this question. I'm used to that. But I really would have guessed that, say, Nas or Kanye West would have made the cut ahead of 50 or Wayne (whoever that is).

Huh. Apparently Jay-Z is claiming to be the best rapper alive. He really should know better.

Fuck it. Nevermind. I'm going back to not sleeping...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't play it off like you go without the mack daddy or the daddy mack.