Tuesday, September 18, 2007

But the post office has been stolen and the mail box is locked



I applied for three jobs at the UNC library today. Or yesterday, rather. If the dice finally roll my way, that would be cool enough that I wouldn't even mind working in the belly of the beast for a while.

Kanye West's new album is somewhat underwhelming. So was Aesop Rock's new album. New Springsteen album is on the horizon- hopefully that won't be underwhelming. Right now I'm listening to Brother Ali, Johnny Cash, Graham Parker, Bob Dylan's early 90s folk albums, El-P, a Smithsonian Folkways Classic Mountain Music collection, video game podcasts and the Minutemen, mainly. Right now I'm reading Philip Roth's "I Married A Communist" and Woody Guthrie's autobiography. I just finished a biography of Cash, and a couple of 33 1/3 books, one on A Tribe Called Quest's first album and one on Sly and the Family Stone's "There's A Riot Going On". I have another 33 1/3 in my bag, about Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" album, which I'm going to be reading pretty much entirely out of a sense of completism. I'm seriously considering re-reading Ulysses. I can't quite say why. I finally saw "Superbad", which was quite good, although I liked "Knocked Up" more. I'm planning on seeng the documentary "King of Kongs" on Wednesday. "House" is back on television in a week, which is a good thing.

The other day, I was sitting in the Brickyard, reading, and a would-be Christian missionary was attempting to use Occam's Razor to prove that Jesus rose from the grave. He didn't use the term "Occam's Razor", but that was the thrust of his argument. I'm still not sure if I think that he just sucks at logic, or if he has real chutzpah. At any rate, that's the kind of weird thing that rattles around in my head for days on end.

Nevermind.

No comments: