Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Science Fiction Punk Rock Theater


I downloaded an album from eMusic that I've become oddly fascinated with. It's a collection of current punk bands covering the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. Now, Green Day is the only punk band from the last twenty years or so that I've paid any real attention to, and I haven't given RHPS much thought since high school, but I found the concept so interesting that I didn't really feel like I had much of a choice about downloading it. And it is remarkably fascinating. There's a certain logic to the whole thing- Rocky Horror was almost punk before punk really existed after all, but the execution of the entire thing is pretty impressive, especially for a collection of bands of which I had only heard of two of them.

When I heard that Heath Ledger had died, I eventually realized that I couldn't think of a single one of his films that I had seen. It turns out that I have seen one movie he was in (Monster's Ball, but the only things I remember from it are Puff Daddy being executed at the beginning and Halle Berry and Billy Bob Thorton grinding on the floor). Brokeback Mountain has been on the increasingly long list of movies I've been meaning to see, but I have no idea when I'll eventually get around to it (My Netflix queue is over 80 movies long, and I've been trying not to add things to it.)

The show last night was really good, although it only lasted a little over half an hour. The weather wasn't as bad as I had feared, and I was dismissed from jury duty. (Which is a little annoying. I mean, they were after me for like two years to serve, and when they finally had me, they simply wasted a few minutes of my time for a few evenings and then said they didn't want me. I guess not everything means something)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about the Rocky Horror Punk Rock Show, the one that came out a few years ago? I was really impressed by that, too.

Where are you working now?