Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Sifting Through The Wreckage

It was about ten years ago, when Titanic won best picture over Boogie Nights, L.A. Confidential, As Good As It Gets, Good Will Hunting, Jackie Brown, The Full Monty and four or five other superior films, that I first promised myself I wouldn't get upset about the crimes of the Oscars. Since then, my resolve has been tested by the awards several times- Russell Crowe not winning for several amazing performances (although he did win for a less amazing performance in Gladiator), Daniel Day-Lewis somehow not winning for Gangs of New York, Gladiator beating Traffic for best picture, I could go on. So, true to that spirit, I'm not upset by a couple of really puzzling Oscar nominations. But I will mention the two that I noticed.

Best Animated Feature- Surf's Up gets nominated but the Simpsons movie doesn't. Really? Really? We all know that this award is Ratatouille's, (although I'm sure Persepolis is fantastic) but really?

Best Song- Enchanted got three nominations. Fucking Three. Eddie Vedder was shut out after winning the Golden Globe. I understand that this award exists to give Disney films Oscars. Hell, Mary Poppins beat the songs from A Hard Day's Night. If the Beatles didn't have a chance, then I suppose Eddie didn't either. (You might remember that Phil Collins got himself an Oscar in this category for a song from Tarzan. That's all I'm going to say).

Going to the Cradle tonight, where I'll freeze my ass of for probably at least an hour waiting in line to get in. Free shows are awesome and all, but I'd really prefer to pay the fifteen or so dollars and not have to wait in line when it's about 30 degrees outside. I'll probably write something about it tomorrow if I don't have jury duty. (If the Feds do decide to bring me in, it would be on the morning after I get home at 1:30 in the morning.)

No comments: