Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Days of the Locusts



Feedback. Awesome. I appreciate anyone reading, especially anyone who I haven't personally spent the last several weeks badgering about reading this thing.

So. I took my last exam this morning. It was boring, and I wound up writing two essays about all of my grievances with Coppola's version of Dracula. Somewhere between a bang and a whimper, I guess. Tomorrow I have to go to the campus one more time, to take part in a sort of exit interview for English majors. I'm only going because a professor I respect asked me twice to come.

This is strange, but bear with me. Does anyone else have the problems I have with donut stores? I almost never eat donuts, but this morning I went to the Dunkin Donuts across from the English building just to eat something before the exam. And I discovered just how bad I really am at ordering dounts. I asked for a chocolate, cream-filled donut, and I guess I didn't pronounce the comma correctly, because I got a powdered donut filled with chocolate cream. Earlier this year, the only other time I went to the store I asked for a chocolate donut, meaning a regular donut with chocolate icing and I got this weird donut that was chocolate, but all the way throught? Like not iced, but just chocolate. For someone who thinks they are pretty good with the English language, it's actually kind of humiliating to not be able to order a damned donut. Anyway, I go to pay for the donut, which came to 90 cents. I have out a dollar bill, and the clerk asks me "Do you have anything that gives you a discount?" He doesn't bother to illucidate just what sorts of talismans or symbols might be capable of gaining such a discount, so I just kind of hem and mutter negative-sounding things, and try to get to him to accept my dollar so I can leave with some shards of my sense of self-worth, but he repeats the question before he finally takes the dollar and gives me my dime. Do other human beings have these kinds of things happening to them too, or is just something about me?

Right.

No comments: