Friday, May 4, 2007

While All of Y'all Were Seeing Spidey III


I was finally seeing Grindhouse. And it ruled.

I liked the Tarantino half better than Rodriguez's half, although both were good. The trailers were brilliant, especially the Thanksgiving slasher one and Machete (which Rodriguez is now making). Seeing Rico Diaz from Six Feet Under killing zombies was a treat.

There were exactly three people in the movie theater (including myself) which was about two more than I strictly expected. And I have to admit that seeing "Grindhouse" in a multiplex in Cary, NC is fundamentally wrong. Still, it was one of the most joyous cinematic experiences of my recent life. I can't remember the last film that made me feel so goddamned happy to be alive. It's everything that Snakes on a Plane almost was, but moreso, and better and somehow less gimicky.

I still wish Quentin would grow up a little bit, and make more movies and make more movies that are more like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. He has every right in the world to make the movies that he wants to, and I enjoy watching them, but it's so frustrating to watch someone with so much talent who also has the access and ability to make movies fritter away on what will ultimately be seen as essentially frivolous. The only other American director I can think of who has the kind of all-encompassing love for all kinds of movies AND the talent to make whatever kind of film that he wants to is Scorsese, who makes movies constantly, and makes movies that are both great AND fun. There was a time when Tarantino seemed like the next coming of Marty, instead of an amalgamation of Godard and Roger Corman.



In the sequel, David and Nate will avenge Rico's death...

No comments: