Thursday, February 28, 2008

(clever reference that only I get)


So, after I wrote the last entry, I became briefly obsessed with my throw-away joke about doing a musical set in late Victorian London and featuring nothing but Radiohead songs. I began thinking about what historical people would feature in the production (the Elephant Man, Oscar Wilde and Bosie, Jack the Ripper, the Fabians) and what I wanted to be sure to include (the Boer War, for example, if I could make the time line fit). I began thinking about what Radiohead songs I definitely wanted in (Exit Music [For A Film] and Idioteque and High and Dry). I thought about what songs had lyrics that were too anachronistic (Airbag, for example, the CIA reference in The Bends, Videotape off of the new album). I was actually going to begin writing things down when it really occurred to me just how insane the idea is. I realized that even if I had just swept the Oscars, no one was going to finance this movie. I remembered that the average moviegoer knows , at most, two or three Radiohead songs (and Karma Police was a little sketchy for the film- "she buzzes like a fridge" probably wouldn't work). I remember that this movie isn't an obvious box office success like my idea for an epic retelling of the life of Napoleon using only chimpanzees and monkeys and gorillas and other simian actors. This one is niche.

And I felt a little silly about the amount of thought I put into the whole thing. Besides, I couldn't make up my mind if it should have been animated or live-action anyway.

The Brand Nubian show was pretty good. Soup, from the Jurassic Five, was advertised for the show, but wasn't actually there. If the admission hadn't been free, I would probably have felt more put out by that. Keith pointed out that someone on stage could at least have said "No Soup For You!".

Nothing good can come of listening to as much Leonard Cohen as I've been listening to in the last 36 hours or so. Even now, I'm listening to "The Future" once again.

Oh, and Time Warner Cable is officially back on my shit list. It was bad enough when their parent company wouldn't give the Braves the $175 million payroll that the team needed, but now it seems that the Cartoon Network has vanished from non-digital cable. Adult Swim might be a shadow of what it used to be (seriously, how is Aqua Teen Hunger Force still on the air? The show had run out of ideas after about 15 episodes. And a lot of people would consider that generous), but Venture Bros. is coming back this year, and if I want to watch the show in bed, I have to watch it over the internet. Bullshit move, Time Warner. The least you could have done was brough ESPN Classic back down to my tier, especially since the channel is now showing pro wrestling from the 70s and early 80sin the early morning time slots.

No comments: