Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Last Thoughts on Bob Knight (maybe)


I was listening to the podcast of Tony Kornheiser's radio show, something I do five times a week because it's generally really interesting and worthwhile. Kornheiser was talking to John Feinstein, who wrote A Season On The Brink. A Season on the Brink is a very good book about one season of Indiana basketball under the Knight regime (the 1985-86 season, if I recall correctly, which I'm pretty sure I do.). It is the starting point for any reasoned conversation about Knight, both his good qualities (brilliant mind for basketball, scrupulous honesty, high graduation rates) and his disgusting qualities (assaulting Puerto Rican police officers, hurling chairs onto the court during games against Purdue, making insensitive remarks about rape, a pattern of bullying that occasionally passed from merely verbally humiliating anyone who he didn't like the look of and became actual physical violence, particularly when asked "What's Up Knight?", being responsible for the inhuman presence currently coaching in Durham). During the conversation, Feinstein mentions, almost in passing, that Jim Valvano did not like Bob Knight. And at the moment, I felt that all of my negative feelings toward Knight were and are completely justified. And I wonder if I hadn't spent the entire Superbowl (with the exception of a pretty good Tom Petty show) reading Tim Peeler's very interesting, if poorly written, book about the 1983 National Championship team, would I have decided that Jim Valvano's opinion was basically gospel in this case.

More to the point- does anyone think that Memphis has a chance to be the first team to copy the success of Knight's 1975-76 Indiana team (the one that had Sean May's dad) and go completely undefeated? If so, would the novelty of this accomplishment balance the disparity between achieving a perfect season in the Big 10 (albeit with an easier NCAA tournament- less parity, fewer teams invited) as opposed to doing it in a Conference USA ranked 11th in conference RPI by Ken Pom's computers?

I know the picture isn't really appropriate. But wikipedia only had two pictures on the page about Knight, and I'm feeling far too lazy to even type "Bobby Knight" into google images.

No comments: