Monday, April 30, 2007

Dispatches From Academia Hell- Final Transmission



The papers are coming together, albeit slowly. The Nabokov one might turn out all right, but the poetry paper is good and proper fucked. It's going to be a disjointed mess, and that's optimistic. I've discovered just how little I really think of Kevin Young's "Blues poetry". Nothing he wrote is as well-written or haunting as a Robert Johnson song, or even a good Howlin' Wolf song. I've decided modern poetry critics haven't actually read great poetry, but merely recent poetry. It's the only way I can think to explain how excited the critics sound in these blurbs. His conceit feels more like a dillentante than a clever twist on a great tradition. Franz Wright is actually a pretty good poet, although I've become increasingly convinced that Free Verse is just masturbation. When did meter become a bad thing? Blur was right. The Modern World is Rubbish.

I wrote a whole bunch of lyrics today (with a rhyme scheme!) They're basicly hip-hop lyrics, written in a sort of ABCB DEFE scheme. If Keith likes them, I'll probably post them here. Shit, even if he doesn't I might go ahead and do it. So all of you (both of you) have that Sword of Damocles hanging over your heads.

Only three more exams until I'm done with college. (Until, in about three or four years, I begin begging grad schools to let me in). At this point there is nothing bittersweet of the concept in and of itself. I'll dislike reality, but I really hate school right now. I'm tired of college students (present company excluded, if indeed any present company is reading.)

No comments: