Monday, April 23, 2007

Who the hell are we and where are we going?


I had a strange experience today. In film history, while watching the historical film "The Science of Sleep" (2006) lines began coming into my head for a poem. The weird thing was that they were appearing, fully formed, in iambic pentameter. I'm guessing that Nabokov's "Pale Fire" is probably responsible for part of that, but it was odd, nonetheless.

"I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar". I had always thought that the first line of "How Soon is Now?" was "I am the sun and the air". I'm guessing Morrisey meant for that to happen. Sorry. Sidetracked. I was checking the wiki page for the movie, which was pretty damn awesome, as well as being magnificently weird (it was directed by the same cat who made "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") and it mentioned that the sleeve for the Smiths single hangs behind the main character's bed.

I've written in iambic before, and it's a lot easier than you'd think. I've never been able to decide if it's easy because we're so used to Shakespeare, or if Shakespeare used it so much because it's so easy. Call it a lit nerd's version of chicken and the egg.

24 was pretty boring tonight. Sopranos was pretty good last night. I don't have to go to work tomorrow, so I might be able to get a good start on my third Nabokov paper (not that you ethereal bastards care). Graduation is less than 20 days away, and I feel like there' s no direction home. Not in a completely bad way, but not in a completely great way either. Actually, when you live at home, then... nevermind.

I'll try and post tomorrow after House is over. Again, not that anyone is reading or anyone cares. I've been thinking this through and I have some ideas for this thing.

Later.

No comments: