Monday, April 2, 2007

Napoleon in Rags, and the Xanax That He Took

Well, Florida just repeated as National Champs, and I'm having a hard time caring that much. I mean, it was pretty clear once the final game was set who would win, and this year's tournament has been about as boring and conventional as any I can remember. The fact that the Gators now hold back-to-back hoops hardware plus the football crown is pretty insane though. I guess there's something to that Gatorade after all.

The Braves won their opener today, and except for Smoltz getting a no-decision I couldn't be happier. Renteria homered twice, the bullpen seems to have done well, and things look bright again in Atlanta after a year best forgotten in 06. The new streak starts this year- I can feel it.

24 tonight wasn't particularily great. I have no idea where they are going now that Fayed and the Russian guy who sold Tom Cruise his costume in Eyes Wide Shut are down, and Palmer seems to have lost his fucking mind. I can't quite figure out why this season, after never watching a single second of it before, I'm so captivated by it- especially since veterans of the show tell me that this year's not great. At any rate, with House back every week and Sopranos about to start its end run, I'm gonna be watching way more tv than usual.

Wow, this must be so boring to all of you reading this, by which I mean no one. I think I'm just posting in order to make a habit out of it.

The new band I'm obsessed with (and I'm using "new" in a sense that has nothing whatsoever to do with reality, since the music is from 30 years ago) is called Big Star. It's really good power pop from the early 70s- these guys learned every last good lesson from the Beatles and The Kinks and The Byrds except for how to sell records. Tomorrow (hopefully) Amazon will deliver a book about them that I ordered while I was drunk off my ass and only barely recall ordering. If anyone was actually reading this I would demand that all of you go out and buy their first two albums- you can get them from eMusic (except for one track- undoubtedly some weird copyright thing- that I had to buy from iTunes) or on one CD. This album will improve your live. I've had it for a week and I'm entranced. The only song I had heard from the first album was in the form of the theme to That 70s Show (which was a better show than it had any right whatsoever being, and I found myself somewhat addicted to in syndication) the first verse, covered by Cheap fucking Trick of all bands, was the opening credits song. Life is unfair, art is more unfair, and the music industry is the most unfair.

Speaking of which, Amazon is preselling a "new" Elliot Smith album. For those of you keeping score this is the second album he's put out since he fell on his knife. I saw Elliot play in 2000 at the club that's now called Disco Rodeo (I can't remember what it was called then). I was a senior in high school and I had three AP exams in three days with the concert in the middle of it, but it was fucking worth it, especially since it turns out I wouldn't have had another chance. I have no idea if this new album will be any good at all, but I know deep down inside I'll buy it the day it comes out, I guess as a way of saying something to his memory. I'll let y'all know (all none of you) if it's any good.

The only other songs from my earlier eMusic downloads that I've digested are the songs for the comic V for Vendetta that David J did, and I liked them, although I would only recommend them to people who've read the comic and love the comic (which I would hope to be the same thing). The only new album I've bought recently is the new one from El-P, and it's damn fine, although I need to listen to it some more before I work out its place in the highly esteemed Def Jux pantheon. El-P is coming to the Cradle in May, I think, in a period of about two or three weeks that will also include Brother Ali (who I saw opening for Rakim and liked, especially since his DJ's gear was busted and he brought a beat boxer out to perform with) Buck 65, who is a legitimate genius, Sage Francis, who I really like and the Blastmaster himself, the Teacher, KRS-One. KRS is someone I've wanted to see ever since I really got into hip-hop- the others are just gravy. Kid Koala is also coming to the area pretty soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if I wind up at that show too, provided money works out. My dear friend Keith, who will one day be both a PHD and the next underground rap sensation as MC Lease Def, is a huge fan of Kid Koala, and I know he wants to see the man spin.

A different kind of DJ, the original kind, Kelly, has updated her blog, which I highly recommend to all none of you who are reading this. Once again, mzkelly.blogspot.com. Read it and give her the love she so richly deserves. And if you love baseball, which is another way of saying, if you love life, you should be reading firejoemorgan.com, which is both funny and brilliant.

I think I've got most of my paper on V for Vendetta written out in my head, which is a relief, since I need to really get to work on my paer about Nabokov's Bend Sinister and the movie Stranger Than Ficition. If, by any chance one of you nonexistant bastards are familiar with either work, I'd love to hear some insights.

Well, I've got to go to work tomorrow morning, and I'm sure that I have something Dantean in store in PE tomorrow, so I'm going to try to go to bed now.

Later.

No comments: