Saturday, April 28, 2007

Third Prize is 'You're Fired'


I spent most of today working the NCSU FOL book sale. It was pretty...yeah. It was a book sale. I sat in a chair for six or seven hours and people gave me money, and then I made change and they left with books. Sexy time. I wound up buying a few books that are pretty boring if you're not me. (Biographies of Billy Martin and Alfred Lord Tennyson, a couple other baseball books, a Doonesbury collection of mid-70s strips, Joan Didion's "Slouching Towards Bethlehem", sundry other books)

Tomorrow's going to be essay writing day. I have a pretty good idea what my Nabokov/suicide essay is going to look like, but no fucking clue what my poetry essay is going to be. I will also be not studying for the exams I have over the next few days.

So, I finally saw "The Departed" this week. It's good, very good in fact, but it doesn't seem like a Best Picture winner, and it certainly doesn't crack the upper tier of Scorsese films. The ending is a little over-the-top, and I had a hard time getting into the shrink who sleeps with both DiCaprio and Damon. Best Nicholson movie since "About Schmidt", easily.

Maybe more exciting- Amazon's selling "Glengarry GlenRoss" for six bucks, so I've got a copy now. If you haven't seen it yet, then you really need to, if only for Alec Baldwin being awesome. The rest of the cast and a brilliant Mamet screenplay is just frosting, baby.

I saw a girl at the book sale wearing a t-shirt with the line "Son this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing". Which was awesome. The line is from Dylan's song "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)", a completely underrated track off of his "Street Legal" album.

A belated top 5:
Best Scorsese Films
1- Taxi Driver
2- Raging Bull
3- Goodfellas
4- Gangs of New York
5- The Last Temptation of Christ

No comments: